Auguste Perret (12 February 1874 – 25 February 1954) was a French architect and a world leader and specialist in reinforced concrete construction. In 2005 his post-WWII reconstruction of Le Havre was declared by UNESCO one of the World Heritage Sites.
He was born in Ixelles, Belgium. He was the brother of the architect Gustave Perret.
He worked on a new interpretation of the neo-classical style. He continued to carry the banner of nineteenth century rationalism after Viollet-le-Duc. His efforts to utilize historical typologies executed in new materials were largely eclipsed by the younger media-savvy architect Le Corbusier, Perret’s one-time employee, and his ilk.
From 1940 Perret taught at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. He won the Royal Gold Medal in 1948 and the AIA Gold Medal in 1952.
Rue Franklin apartments, Paris, 1902-1904
Garage Ponthieu, Paris, 1905
the Art Nouveau landmark Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, Paris, 1913
the Concert Hall of the École Normale de Musique de Paris
concrete cathedral in Le Raincy, France, Église Notre-Dame du Raincy, 1923, with stained-glass work by Marie-Alain Couturier
extensions to the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1945
the City Hall, St. Joseph’s Church and further reconstruction of the French city of Le Havre after more than 80,000 inhabitants of that city were left homeless following World War II, 1949-1956
the Gare d’Amiens, 1955
the villa Aghion, in Alexandria (destroyed 28 August 2009)
referenced from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auguste_Perret